Early Music Vancouver (EMV)
May 26, 2017, Position to begin July 1 or earlier if possible.
EMV has a long-standing reputation for the presentation and study of Western classical repertoires in an historical context. It offers one of the most ambitious programs of its type in North America, presenting an average of 30-35 concerts per year featuring internationally renowned local and guest artists. It has a main season that runs through the fall, winter and spring, and an annual two-week long summer Bach festival and educational programme at U.B.C. It is one of the most active non-profit presenting organisations in the Lower Mainland. EMV recently took on the administration and management of the Pacific Baroque Orchestra as a division of its operations.
Our current team is small (only 5 FTEs). We are collegial, fun-loving and positive while also being hard working. We are seeking to fill this position with someone who works well as part of a group while also being self-directed. Please consult our website to get a fuller sense of who we are and what we do. A genuine interest in classical music and experience in concert/event production is important. Our offices are on the second floor of Hodson Manor at 1254 West 7 th in Fairview Slopes.
Early Music Vancouver (EMV) seeks a full-time Production Coordinator who is responsible to the Executive and Artistic Director (ED/AD) for the administration of all production aspects of EMVs programming including outreach events, special events and any presented events that require production support. The Production Coordinator also works closely with and under the direction of the Business Manager (BM).
- Develop production calendars, budgets and timelines for each production and determine time, labour, rehearsal, and material requirements for each production in collaboration with the ED/AD and the BM
- Work with the ED/AD to secure artist bookings in accordance with season series, education/outreach events, and special events
- Draft agreements for collaborations with other organizations
- Work with the ED/AD to secure venue bookings in accordance with season series and special event plans for performance and rehearsal venues
- Work with the ED/AD to prepare touring grant applications to the BC Arts Council and Canada Council for the Arts
- Manage all aspects of travel arrangements for artists in accordance with all contractual provisions
- Coordinate US P2 Visa applications for EMV/PBO touring productions in consultation with the Vancouver Musicians Union
- Manage all aspects of timely payment of artists in accordance with in-place contractual provisions
- Attend all rehearsals and performances to ensure artists’ needs are met
- Coordinate the contracted rental and use of EMV instruments in the community
- Coordinate the booking schedule and contracting of Hodson Manor to other parties, including invoicing
Other duties as may be assigned from time to time. A more comprehensive set of specific responsibilities will be worked out with the successful candidate.
Every staff member has a responsibility to work together in a positive, respectful and constructive manner, consistent with the stated values of EMV, with all other members of the staff, the board the volunteers and all members of the public who are engaged in EMV activities.
- Demonstrated ability to budget and prepare new productions
- Experience with grant writing an asset
- Demonstrated previous experience working in a deadline driven environment preferably for large events
- Proven previous experience working as part of a high-performing team
- Available to work weekend and evenings
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills – a keen eye for detail
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Exceptional relationship management skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize a diverse workload in a busy environment
- Strong ability to effectively share ideas and courageously take initiative
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Comfortable making informed decisions and delegating tasks to volunteers
- A valid driver’s license
- Experience working with unions and collective bargaining agreements not required but helpful
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter to Matthew White at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to indicate in your cover letter why you want to work at Early Music Vancouver, specifically referencing our vision, mission and values. The application deadline is May 26, 2017. We will hold interviews for selected candidates following this deadline.
This is a Full-time position – salary range $43-45,000 – negotiable with experience.